Commercially available pharmaceuticals meet the needs for many human and veterinary patients, however, a growing number of people and pets require compound medications to offset a variety of factors. For example, if a person or animal is unable to take a commercial pharmaceutical medication due to allergies or sensitivities to fillers, colors, or other additives, or simply needs an adjustment for palatability, strength or delivery form, a compound medicine can meet these patients’ needs. A Compounding Pharmacy can reformulate the prescription to eliminate the problem without irritating active ingredients. These pharmacies are also a vital alternative solution to hospital or practitioner shortages, back-orders or manufacturer discontinuations.
Veterinary pharmacy compounding services directly addresses pharmaceutical noncompliance issues such as when a patient refuses medication, makes dosing nearly impossible, or simply cannot take the pharmaceutical of choice in its commercially available form. Regardless of the type of animal, a Compounding Pharmacy can find something that will work. A noncompliant patient can benefit from the following:
- Alterations or tweaking or route of administration: A compound pharmacist can carry a variety of available dosage forms depending on the compound including but not limited to oral suspensions, capsules, palatable powders, transdermal gels, chewable animal treats, ophthalmics, and injectables.
- Unavailable yet FDA-approved pharmaceutical: When an item has been backordered or discontinued, some pharmacies can compound that drug that’s not available on the commercial market, given the FDA has not pulled the pharmaceutical from the market.
- Customized Strength: A Compounding Pharmacy can provide custom compound strengths whether a small dose is needed for a bird or rodent or a large dose is needed for a horse or elephant.
- Palatability Enhancement: a compound pharmacist can create flavors for even the pickiest animals.
- Removal of allergens/irritants: If an inactive ingredient causes problems, a Compounding Pharmacy may be able to reformulate the medication to eliminate allergens and irritants.
Human compounding services are an alternate solution to pharmaceutical noncompliance- a patient refusing medication, makes dosing nearly impossible, or simply cannot take the pharmaceutical of choice in its commercially available form. Many compounding services are available for people in all stages of life including pediatrics, sports medicine, pain management and rehabilitation, compounded hormones, hospice and palliative care, dentistry, podiatry, and diabetic care. A noncompliant person may benefit from the same options as veterinary pharmacy compounding services:
- Alterations or tweaking or route of administration
- Unavailable yet FDA-approved pharmaceutical
- Customized Strength
- Palatability Enhancement
Removal of allergens/irritants